Re: [O] Org-Drill first interval

From: Paul Sexton
Subject: Re: [O] Org-Drill first interval
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 22:30:54 +0000 (UTC)

Curt Bergmann <curt.bergmann <at> visi.com> writes:

> The first interval for my first question is always 4 whether I mark it
as a 3,
> 4, or 5. When I change org-drill-learn-factor it doesn't appear to
change the
> first interval.
>
> I would like to reduce the first interval and I assume that the
learn-factor
> will allow me to control subsequent intervals.  Anki has an option
to select the
> first interval for each of its answer qualities. If there is no
option and you
> can send me a patch I'd be happy to try that as well.

Hi, I'm the author of org-drill. I assume you are using the SM5 spaced
repetition algorithm (default). The reason that the first interval is always
4 days is because this is specified in that algorithm. And the way that the
learn-fraction is applied in that algorithm means that it can never have much
of an effect on early intervals -- its effect becomes apparent later.

However, I have committed a change to org-drill.el which implements a new
variable, org-drill-sm5-initial-interval. Its default value is 4 but you can
change it to another value if you wish.

This change has been committed to the org-drill devel repository at:

https://bitbucket.org/eeeickythump/org-drill

You will need to download the file from there. I have not yet sent it to the
main org repo.

HTH
Paul