Re: [O] Org-mode is not able to manage complex calendar events

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [O] Org-mode is not able to manage complex calendar events
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 15:38:18 +0100

Karl Voit <address@hidden> writes:

> * Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> In my case, it's more about calendar events than tasks.  My tasks are
>> typically for my information only but meetings etc involve multiple
>> people.
>
> IMHO: Org-mode does *not* seem to be made for managing calendar
> events that go beyond simple one-time-occurrence events.

I would argue that this is not at all the case, especially if you
consider that org uses a tree hierarchy and tags so that one can group
separate entries in a variety of ways, you can clone with time shift
whole trees, etc.  Most calendar tools require you to specify all the
conditions for a particular "event" in one go whereas with org you can
have a number of different entries for the same "event"... etc.

Also, with sexp, you can manage practically anything you might like
although, of course, it does require learning a certain amount of
elisp.  Recurring events with exceptions are not a problem, for
instance.

In any case, as always with computer tools, what works for you is what
matters!  For me, org is just plainly much more suitable for my mode of
working; every other calendar system I have tried has constrained me
much more.  But that's *me*.

> but you
> *have* to support at least the same featureset of Outlook Calendar
> in order to think of a (two-way-) sync mechanism to Org-mode.

I guess this depends on what types of events you are likely to have in
the outlook calendar.  In my case, only a small feature set is likely
necessary (mostly repeating lectures and one off meetings) so a sync
should be possible.  I don't think anybody is proposing a full-blown
totally automatic sync mechanism between org and Outlook (or whatever)
that covers the union of the two products' feature sets...  insanity
lies in that direction ;-)

But I'll worry about this later this year when forced to use MS...

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1
: using Org-mode version 7.5 (release_7.5.410.gadf1)