Re: [O] [Bug] Doc string for org-clock-into-drawer truncated?

From: Ian Barton
Subject: Re: [O] [Bug] Doc string for org-clock-into-drawer truncated?
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 10:18:28 +0100

On 21/06/11 08:49, Carsten Dominik wrote:

On Jun 20, 2011, at 9:32 PM, Achim Gratz wrote:

In org-clock.el, the following definition is found:

(defcustom org-clock-into-drawer org-log-into-drawer
  "Should clocking info be wrapped into a drawer?
When t, clocking info will always be inserted into a :LOGBOOK: drawer.
If necessary, the drawer will be created.
When nil, the drawer will not be created, but used when present.
When an integer and the number of clocking entries in an item
reaches or exceeds this number, a drawer will be created.
When a string, it names the drawer to be used.

The default for this variable is the value of `org-log-into-drawer',
which see."
…

I can't make much sense of the last sentence which looks truncated.

It means, please look at the variable org-log-into-drawer for
more information.  I have seen this idiom in Emacs
in a number of places, so I assumed it is OK.

I agree with Achim, that idiom makes no sense to a native English speaker. To make sense it should say something like ".... for which see the doc string for `org-log-into-drawer', or even better the way Achim's patch is worded.

Having just been picky, I must say that I am astounded by the general high standard of English both on this list and in the org documentation, from many people for whom it must be a second language. If only many of our native English writers could communicate so clearly and with correct grammar!

Ian.