Re: [O] Calendar-like view of the org-agenda

From: SAKURAI Masashi
Subject: Re: [O] Calendar-like view of the org-agenda
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2011 01:24:32 +0900

At Tue, 05 Jul 2011 13:49:15 +0200,
Niels Giesen wrote:
> :
> > I have not used orgmode so far, so I'm not good at the schedule management
> > in
> > the orgmode. Comments and patches are welcome.
>
> Ok. Here you go:
> :
> 2. For people using org-google-weather and using icons to spicen up
> their agenda views for the weather, there is a problem with the grid as
> the icons do not fit well inside a grid.
>
> The simplest way to get around this I guess is advising
> `cfw:org-collect-schedules-period' (I use a similar strategy for
> `org-mobile-push' where one would otherwise only see the text "icon").
>
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
>   (defadvice cfw:org-collect-schedules-period (around no-icon activate)
>     (let (org-google-weather-display-icon-p)
>       ad-do-it))
> #+end_src

I received the similar issue on github,
https://github.com/kiwanami/emacs-calfw/issues/1

In the current implementation, invalidating images and deleting the
`display' property are simple solution.

But I would try to display images in calfw.

> 3. I'd like to select items with my keyboard, but the normal emacs
> navigation bindings are not available. Maybe tabbing to items in
> `cfw:details-mode' (but preferably also in cfw:calendar-mode) would do
> it for me, where it would be nice if the mouse echo was also shown when
> entering an item by way of keyboard navigation.

I also think key binding should be improved.
I would try to implement TAB key navigation you mentioned.

The problem of navigation is discussed on the github issue too.
https://github.com/kiwanami/emacs-calfw/issues/2

> 4. I do not know whether it is possible due to the dynamic construction
> of mode maps in calfw.el, but it would be nice if you could take
> advantage of the self-documenting nature of Emacs by including a
> reference to the keymap in the docstring for the various modes. For
> cfw:calendar-mode this would be st. like:
>  :

I will do this. Thank you for your helpful code.

> 5. (perhaps slightly OT) From your screenshots I see you have no problem
> with putting multibyte (japanese) characters inside a grid, something
> with which I always have problems (e.g. in org tables but also in your
> calendar). Do you do anything special to make that work?

Instead of `length', the function `string-width' of mule.el should be
used to calculate display width of the string. This function treats
not only East Asian characters but also complex Unicode ones. Some
functions, such as `cfw:render-truncate', use it.

However, it is not so easy for Japanese users to fit a grid, because
of the font and rendering problems of Emacs. One can find many
Japanese blog articles about beautiful font setting on Emacs.

Thank you for your many comments.