Re: [O] Problems with search

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] Problems with search
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2011 17:16:40 -0400

Henri-Paul Indiogine <address@hidden> wrote:

> Greetings!
>
> I am having a problem with the GNU Emacs search function that makes it
> practically unusable.  I think that it is related to org-mode because of
> the following lines in my *Messages* buffer:
>
> Error in post-command-hook: (void-variable org-ans1)
> nonincremental-search-forward: Search failed: "Apple   "
> Error in post-command-hook: (void-variable org-ans1)
> nonincremental-search-forward: Search failed: "Payne   "
>

> Basically, I start search with C-s and then when I enter a string if it
> includes 'n' or 'p' it interprets them as commands instead of characters
> of the string.
>
> E.g. "Apple" is accepts "A" then when I press "p" it starts a backward
> search.
>
> when I enter "n" it goes to the next match of the letters before 'n'.
>
> I run the latest git version compiled daily.

A few things to check and try:

o What does C-h v post-command-hook RET say?

o emacs -q and try incremental search. I expect no problem.

o comment out the loading of org from your emacs and restart emacs, then
try an incremental search. Still no problem?

o uncomment the previous and restart emacs: does the problem reappear?

If the problem does not reappear in the last case, then it is likely
that something happened in your current emacs instance that mangled the
value of post-command-hook, but it will be very difficult to find out
what: it depends on what you did at some (possibly distant) point in the
past. Possibly something was aborted and the cleanup action was never carried
out.
I don't have any great suggestiong to offer in this case: just restart emacs and
keep a watchful eye.

In each case, check the value of post-command-hook. And post the results.

Nick