Re: [O] Regression bug in tangle/weave

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] Regression bug in tangle/weave
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 09:46:10 -0600

Neeum Zawan <address@hidden> writes:

> Eric Schulte <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Indeed this example below no longer works, however I believe the new
>> behavior is both desired and permanent.  I'll explain and include an
>> option for how your example could be restructured to work with the new
>> code.
>>
>> We ran into problems automatically removing trailing newlines from code
>> block bodies as in some languages (looking at you Python and Haskell)
>> things like trailing newlines are of syntactic importance.  In your
>> example this behavior results in the insertion of newlines after
>> file-name and file-version.  Babel is careful to preserve line prefixes
>> when expanding references in comments, so it then reproduces the
>>
>>   # Generated from
>>
>> portion of that line for every line of the expanded noweb references.
>>
>> I would suggest the following alternatives, either using a data
>> references in stead of a code block reference as in the file-version
>> example below, or using an evaluated code block as in the file-name
>> example below.  Hope this helps.
>
> Oh dear. Am I to blame for this?
>
> When I reported the newline issue, somewhere in the back of my mind I
> knew it probably would have some ugly consequences. Now I see them.
>
> An evaluated code block seems inelegant/confusing if one intends to
> export that code as part of the document. A data reference seems OK, but
> I take it you can't have references within it?
>
> Unfortunately, I see no easy solution...

In these cases, I feel that a data reference is the simplest, most
natural solution, and lightest-syntax solution in these cases, and I
don't see it as an ugly compromise.  Just my opinion.

As I mentioned above I feel that the current behavior is both desired
and permanent, and I'm happy that you raised the newline issue that help
lead to this behavior.

Best -- Eric

--
Eric Schulte