Re: [O] Again problems with latex inside footnotes.

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] Again problems with latex inside footnotes.
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 02:37:52 -0400

Rafael Calsaverini <address@hidden> wrote:

> Also, I have problems with equations even when I use \(...\) instead of
> $...$.
>
> This, for example:
> --8<--
> * example
> Example[fn:note].
> [fn:note]An equation: \(\bar{a}\).
> ---8<--
>
> becomes this:
>
> ---8<---
> Example\footnote{An equation: \(\bar\{a\}\). }.
> ---8<---

Unfortunately, the LaTeX exporter does have a lot of weaknesses in this
area: it tends to escape special characters willy-nilly - sometimes
that's the right thing to do, sometimes not.

This particular escaping is done by org-export-latex-special-chars: this
basically loops over four (horrendous-looking) regexps and tries to find
all matches in the buffer for that regexp. It then proceeds to transform
the matched text (and matched pieces of text *around* the main match) in
some (hopefully meaningful) way. In this case, it fails.

The only way I know around this problem is a mechanism that Tom Dye
describes in his (excellent) LaTeX exporting tutorial on Worg. He
credits Lawrence Mitchell for the case that he describes in the tutorial.

Evaluate this expression

(setq org-entities-user '(("l" "{" nil "" "" "" "")
                          ("r" "}" nil "" "" "" "")))

and then export the following:

* example
Example[fn:note].
[fn:note] An equation:  \(\bar \l a\r \).

blablabla [fn:bla]
[fn:bla] this is what \cite\l she\r said.

The trick fools the exporter but there are added spaces - I know no
way to get rid of those.

> I'm not really sure, but I suspect this worked before I instaled the
> latest version of org-mode.

I doubt that. Although patches have been applied to deal with a host of
such problems, it is a long-standing problem that is unlikely to be
completely solved - ever[fn:1].

Nick

Footnotes:

[fn:1] ... although I would love to be proved wrong.