Re: [O] how to change the headline starter *

From: Pieter Praet
Subject: Re: [O] how to change the headline starter *
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 21:10:30 +0200

On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 19:32:18 +0200 (CEST), address@hidden wrote:

> > address@hidden writes:

> > > (setq outline-regexp "[-\f]+")
> > > so as to use - as the headline starter character in outline mode.
> > > Switch to another buffer, enter the text
> > >
> > > - first heading
> > > -- second heading
> > >    some stuff here
> > >
> > > Activate org-mode. M-x org-mode.
> >
> > You should not do this.  org-mode lists start with a "-", using
> > this character for headlines will just confuse things.
>
> Let me rephrase my message then.
>
> BUG. How to reproduce.
> Starting with emacs -Q (this is emacs 23.2 together with org-mode 6.33),
> execute in the scratch buffer
> (setq outline-regexp "[•\f]+")
> so as to use a bullet as the headline starter character in outline mode.
> Switch to another buffer, enter the text
>
> • first heading
> •• second heading
>    some stuff here
>
> Activate org-mode. M-x org-mode.
>
> Then go to the first heading. TAB folds the text as expected.
> Go to the second heading. TAB inserts a TAB instead of folding
> the second heading.
>
> > Can't you live with the "*" as the headline character?
>
> That's a pretty rude answer, I must say. I don't know a single
> language (language as e.g. english, russian, spanish...) that
> uses * as an headline character. BTW, I know that bugs should be
> reported through the bug tracker, I will do that asap, and
> no, I don't have a patch, I don't understand how org-mode
> works.
>
> --
>             Harven

Harven,

One of Org-mode's fundamental goals is to help people make more
*efficient* (sorry, •efficient•) use of their time. Screwing around
with utterly useless vanity config ("I wanna make it look COOL")
is the exact opposite.

Please don't *insult* our devs by calling this useless BS a "BUG",
let alone ask them to *waste* their precious time and skills on it.

If you manage to implement it yourself, you're welcome to send your
patch to the list. We might need it someday, when we -in a bout of
insanity- decide our target audience somehow includes twelve-year-olds.

If you find that rude, don't worry:

If our product or the technical support pertaining to it proves
unsatisfactory in any way, you're entitled to a full refund.

Just send your proof of purchase to one of our sales reps near you.

You still have the receipt don't you?

Peace

--
Pieter