Re: [O] how to change the headline starter *

From: Memnon Anon
Subject: Re: [O] how to change the headline starter *
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 11:30:04 +0000 (UTC)

Hi all,

Pieter Praet <address@hidden> writes:
> On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 19:32:18 +0200 (CEST), address@hidden wrote:

> Please don't *insult* our devs by calling this useless BS a "BUG",
> let alone ask them to *waste* their precious time and skills on it.

Mhh, I don't think it was in any way insulting to ask?
OTOH, I also think Bastien was not rude :).

Please keep also in mind that english is not everyones native language;
this plus the fact that email as a written medium is sometimes hard(er)
to interpret.

You call this useless BS, not worth a bugreport.
Well, it seems to me Harven is new to the list and to org.
In debianstyle bug context, something like:
,----
| Severity: *Wishlist*
| Subject: Please consider making '*' not hardcoded
|
| Hi, I use orgmode and I really like it; thanks!
| However, using emacs for a while, I got used to the fact that
| everything is configurable; orgmode itself with its hundreds of
| variables to customize its behaviour is a prime example.
| However, I tried to get accustomed to the stars as outline indicators, I
| also tried the org-hide-leading-stars, but I can't get used to it.
| I would really love to see this configurable:
| Emacs, got unicode, lets make use of that! Imagine something like "•".
| If emacs were the old ascii only text editor it used to be, I would not
| even have considered it: You devs included picture/pdf/etc. display in
| Buffers and spoiled me ;).
| I really don't know how much work this would be, I just wanted to voice
| my opinion on it (hence *wishlist*).
|
| Thanks
| Memnon
`----
would be acceptable I think. (Note: This is purely fictional, I really
don't care, personally).

It would then probably stay there, either with Bastien answering
something like:
,----
| Hi, the "*" is hardcoded from the projects start and it would mean
| significant work to change that. I *might* tackle this someday, but
| don't hold your breath.
`----
or he would close it and tag it "won't fix" with a similar reply.

> If you manage to implement it yourself, you're welcome to send your
> patch to the list. We might need it someday, when we -in a bout of
> insanity- decide our target audience somehow includes twelve-year-olds.

Belittleing a possible contribution before it was even started?
That however is close to rude *imho*...

Memnon
P.S.: I deliberately waited a day to reply to this message.
      I really like this list and its well behaved attitude: This is a
      nice place. While I also stumbled at the "rude" and basically
      agree to your assessment, Pieter, I found your reply a tad too
      agressive for my taste. So I had to be the "advocatus diaboli" ;).