Re: [O] Org-mode on GNU ELPA

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [O] Org-mode on GNU ELPA
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2011 13:06:18 +0200

address@hidden writes:

> Org-mode on GNU ELPA does not distribute the contrib-directory. Is there
> any chance this could be added?

No, because the GNU ELPA policy requires that the authors of a GNU ELPA
file sign the FSF assignment.

One of the reasons we have a contrib/ directory is that we don't want to
limit Org's distribution to files from authors who signed this agreement.

> Other than that, I think the GNU ELPA
> archive is synced with the trunk/master rather than with the actual
> releases.

Correct.

> I often encounter minor bugs when working with org which usually
> disappear after updating from GNU ELPA again. Is is possible that the
> mainline release (7.6) is distributed via ELPA rather than a bleeding edge
> development version?

The main reason we have an Org tarball in GNU ELPA is to let users
easily access to the bleeding edge version of Org.  If GNU ELPA contains
the exact same version than Emacs, then there is no real advantage of
distributing Org in both channels.  So I think it's better to stick to
the current scheme.

Thanks,

--
 Bastien