Re: [O] Was tj3 --> tikz gantt chart

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [O] Was tj3 --> tikz gantt chart
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 16:33:37 -0500

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 3:46 AM, Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> wrote:
> John Hendy <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hi Eric,
>>
>> While I like tj3, I was looking around for something on tikz/gantt and
>> found something from the pgf mailing list I thought I'd pass
>> along. Check it out.  [1]
>
> Thanks for the link.  My own code was based on this snippet of tikz code
> actually; I just forgot to give a proper attribution <blush>.

[snip]

> All of these would be nice.  The format of the table I defined is
> sufficient to enable dependency representation as well, by the way.
>
> I look forward to your improvements!

Eric (Fraga) (and whoever else),

I was just revisiting this as I'd like to get a bit better about
longer-ish term planning of projects (I have a horrid habit of
procrastination and not taking bite-sized chunks at a time along the
way). I looked into taskjuggler again, but I can't figure out what the
status is on tj3 and org-mode. I see some dead-end conversations but
nothing that seems for sure implemented and I'm not a big fan of tj2.

In any case, it looks like *just* after this discussion, something a
bit more formal came about for gantt charts and TikZ. I thought you
and others might be interested in it:
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Gantt-tikz

It looks like a summary/walkthrough of this package:
http://www.martin-kumm.de/tex_gantt_package.php

It looks quite reasonable and seems to be as advanced as I'd need for
the moment -- just something to track progress and map action paths
through a project. Anyway, let me know what you think and if you think
org-mode could be adapted to export via that or pull together the
necessary info to generate such a chart based on tags or properties. I
haven't done much with that.

Let me know your thoughts!
John