Re: [O] how to change the headline starter *

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [O] how to change the headline starter *
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 23:33:45 +0200

Hi Carsten,

>> This confirms my intuition that the "*" should be hardcoded.
>
> One argument against hardcoding would be that you can use org-cycle
> in other modes, with outline-minor-mode, and I think a number of people
> make use of this.

Yes, I confirm this is (partly) broken.

I use this in emacs-lisp-mode:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(defun org-cycle-global ()
  (interactive)
  (org-cycle t))

(defun org-cycle-local ()
  (interactive)
  (save-excursion
    (move-beginning-of-line nil)
    (org-cycle)))

(global-set-key (kbd "C-M-]") 'org-cycle-global)
(global-set-key (kbd "M-]") 'org-cycle-local)
#+end_src

org-cycle-local still works, but org-cycle-global doesn't anymore.

I'll try to look at this.

> Of cause, if indeed an interesting speed bump can be achieved, we
> can provide a stand-alone org-cycle, maybe even integrate it into
> outline-mode itself.

Yes, this makes sense to have this in outline-mode rather than in
org-mode.

--
 Bastien