Re: [O] Habits not showing in agenda and no progress graph

From: Michael Brand
Subject: Re: [O] Habits not showing in agenda and no progress graph
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 09:23:36 +0200

Hi John

On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 08:16, John Hendy <address@hidden> wrote:
> I was playing around a bit tonight and
> noticed that if I changed the scheduled date, I got a little
> multi-colored bar looking thing in agenda week view. Is that the
> "graph"?

yes, see also the PNG link in the first post of John Wiegley, the
author of org-habit.el, in this thread
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/43492

>>  #+begin_src org
>>    ,* TODO note down month's accomplishments/contributions
>>    ,  SCHEDULED: <2011-07-25 Mon .+5d/10d>
>>    ,  :LOGBOOK:
>>    ,  - State "DONE"       from "TODO"       [2011-07-20 Wed 12:00]
>>    ,  - State "DONE"       from "TODO"       [2011-07-15 Fri 12:00]
>>    ,  :END:
>>    ,  :PROPERTIES:
>>    ,  :STYLE:    habit
>>    ,  :LAST_REPEAT: [2011-07-20 Wed 12:00]
>>    ,  :END:
>>  #+end_src
>
> So... is the "graph" the above? Simply a documented history of habits?

no

> Or is it something else (perhaps the colored thing in agenda view)?

yes, the the colored thing in agenda view

> Lastly, if that graph *is* the colored bar in agenda, I notice that
> it's cutting off most of my text. For example, this updated bit:
> [...]
> The space between "acc" and the "!" is filled with blue, then green,
> then a yellow, and then a red square(s). Can one change this
> appearance and how early the graph starts?

I would look in "C-h org-habit TAB" done in an agenda view and maybe
also org-habit.el. (I did not change habit the config yet but
someday/maybe I would like to add somehow in org-habit.el a sort order
within habits of alternatively "remaining days"; now it's "some ratio
of last and remaining days".)

> If that's the "graph," then I guess I just didn't understand how the
> display in agenda worked and was mistaken in expecting future events
> to show up as I scrolled through the year's view. I think that's fine.
> Just wanted to make sure I wasn't messing something up.
>
> The manual still gives the impression that the "graph" will show the
> history of my habits, whereas this thing in agenda is only showing
> whether I'm ahead, on schedule, or late for this *current* habit.

maybe "C-h org-habit-show-habits-only-for-today" works for you?

> Thanks for any input

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/35628
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/tracking-habits.html

Michael