Re: [O] gnuplot question - "Specify an entire line to be inserted in the

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] gnuplot question - "Specify an entire line to be inserted in the Gnuplot script."
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 13:52:45 -0600

Hi Michael,

I would recommending using a gnuplot code block rather than a plot line,
and passing your data to the code block using a variable.  Code blocks
give you much more direct access to gnuplot, which I find generally
makes gnuplot learning/debugging much easier.

see http://orgmode.org/manual/Working-With-Source-Code.html

add something like this to your config
(org-babel-do-load-languages
   'org-babel-load-languages
   '((gnuplot . t)))

then try something like the following

Best -- Eric

** simple gnuplot tests
#+results: some-more-gnuplot
| 1 |  1 |
| 2 |  4 |
| 3 |  9 |
| 4 | 16 |
| 5 | 25 |
| 6 | 36 |
| 7 | 49 |
| 8 | 64 |
#+TBLFM: $2=$1*$1

#+begin_src gnuplot :var data=some-more-gnuplot
  plot "$data"
#+end_src

#+results:

Plotting data points from a table could look like this:
#+tblname: basic-plot
|   x |         y1 |         y2 |
|-----+------------+------------|
| 0.1 |      0.425 |      0.375 |
| 0.2 |     0.3125 |     0.3375 |
| 0.3 | 0.24999993 | 0.28333338 |
| 0.4 |      0.275 |    0.28125 |
| 0.5 |       0.26 |       0.27 |
| 0.6 | 0.25833338 | 0.24999993 |
| 0.7 | 0.24642845 | 0.23928553 |
| 0.8 |    0.23125 |     0.2375 |
| 0.9 | 0.23333323 |  0.2333332 |
|   1 |     0.2225 |       0.22 |

#+begin_src gnuplot :var data=basic-plot :exports code :file basic-plot.png
set title "Putting it All Together"

set xlabel "X"
set xrange [0:1]
set xtics 0,0.1,1

set ylabel "Y"
set yrange [0.2:0.5]
set ytics 0.2,0.05,0.5

plot data u 1:2 w p lw 2 title 'x vs. y1', \
     data u 1:3 w lp lw 1 title 'x vx. y2'
#+end_src

#+results:
[[file:basic-plot.png]]