[O] [odt] User-visible improvements

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: [O] [odt] User-visible improvements
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2011 02:35:01 +0530

I pushed few user-visible improvements to org-lparse/org-odt a few
minutes ago. With these changes an exported document could be
post-processed to another format (using an external converter) with just
a single command (i.e., you no longer have to launch OpenOffice and do
"Save As" etc)

(For the impatient: Start with item 3!)

1. A choice of command-line converters for org-lparse dependent backends
   like org-odt and org-xhtml.

   M-x customize-variable RET org-lparse-convert-processes RET

   - Currently two converters are supported.
     1. BasicODConverter - Home-brewed converter. This is available as
        an OpenOffice extension in contrib/odt/BasicODConverter dir of
        org git repo.

     2. unoconv - Unable to install this locally on my machine. So use
        of this as a converter is largely untested. But should work
        without any glitches.

     3. If there are other popular converters that are in use, I would
        like to add them to this list.

2. M-x customize-variable RET org-lparse-convert-process RET
   - Choose one of the based on your preferences and availability

3. Make C-c C-e O export directly to your preferred output format
   (doc?). Use

   M-x customize-variable RET org-export-odt-preferred-output-format RET

   (But review items 1 and 2 before doing this)

Side-note: You can use M-x org-lparse-convert to convert an odt file to
say pdf or even docbook or a csv file to xls or a odp file to ppt. This
will depend on your converter capabilities. So checkout

M-x customize-variable RET org-lparse-convert-capabilities RET

You can use org-lparse to export to xhtml and post-process it to odt etc
etc without leaving the comforts of your Emacs session (Remember the
pre-odt days?)

Jambunathan K.