[O] Schedule event

From: Jason Dunsmore
Subject: [O] Schedule event
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2011 12:05:23 -0500

In the Org manual, a distinction is made between items that have a
timestamp with the "SCHEDULED" keyword and items that have a plain
timestamp:

  "Scheduling an item in Org-mode should not be understood in the same way
  that we understand scheduling a meeting. Setting a date for a meeting is
  just a simple appointment, you should mark this entry with a simple
  plain timestamp, to get this item shown on the date where it
  applies. This is a frequent misunderstanding by Org users. In Org-mode,
  scheduling means setting a date when you want to start working on an
  action item."

http://orgmode.org/org.html#Deadlines-and-scheduling

I call these items with plain timestamps "events".  These are items that
come and go on the agenda whether or not I do anything.  I add "events"
to my agenda pretty often, so I'd like to schedule them using the same
interface I use to schedule SCHEDULED items.

Someone on IRC suggested that I use the following function:

(defun org-schedule-event ()
  (interactive)
  (let ((org-scheduled-string ""))
    (org-schedule)))

However, it inserts an extra space.  Example:

* Test
   <2011-08-05 Fri>

instead of:

* Test
  <2011-08-05 Fri>

I could hack together a fix for this, but I was thinking that perhaps
the org-schedule function should be made more general so that it can be
combined with the org-deadline function, which has much of the same
code, and used to insert plain timestamps as well.  Thoughts?