Re: [O] Refiling list items

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] Refiling list items
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2011 20:20:25 -0400

Jeff Horn <address@hidden> wrote:

> > What would be the specifications of that function? Would it only send
> > the item at point to the end of the headline specified through the
> > refile interface?
>
> I hope its clear that this is all above my head. I know enough to make
> suggestions, but not contribute to implementing them. That makes me a
> free-rider, but a free-rider that recognizes he's at the mercy of
> others' talents.

Ah, no - you don't get off that easily! This is not "implementing"
anything.  He is asking about your expectations:

"If I have a list item here and I do an org-refile with such and such
arguments in a file that looks like so and so, I expect it to do such
and such. Instead it did this and that, which was rather surprising.
OTOH, if the list item is *there*..." etc. etc.

I haven't read the thread (apologies) but ISTR you provided such a
description to begin with. What Nicolas is asking is: what should happen
in other cases of interest? You may want to cover just that one special
case, but an implementation has to worry about *all* cases[fn:1]:
otherwise, there *will* be bug reports in the very near future and guess
who their target will be (hint: it won't be you :-) )

Hope-your-sense-of-humor-is-working-today-ly yours,
Nick

Footnotes:

[fn:1] It might punt of course: cover the special case only and raise an
error in all other cases e.g., but that's not particularly appealing.