Re: [O] Converting from OmniFocus to org-mode

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] Converting from OmniFocus to org-mode
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 12:45:26 -0400

Jay McCarthy <address@hidden> wrote:

> This was very useful. I didn't have the problem with the minimal
> setup. I then went through my global modes, turning them off until I
> found that by turning off global-linum-mode it drastically improved
> the performance of org-mode and removed the crash. Great! Now, I'll
> try org-mode for realsies.

It used to be the case (and probably still is, given your experience
above) that linum-mode is expensive: if you can live without it, you'd be
much better off.

emacs tries to make it possible to go places without having to know line
numbers (e.g M-x compile will print out error messages with line numbers
but all you have to do is C-x ` to find the next error message *and* get
to the source code that caused it). That's generally a better way to go.

It's not always possible to do without line numbers (although you can
come pretty close), so there is a mode to print out the current line
number in the mode line which is not nearly as expensive:
line-number-mode. I have that on all the time and I do not notice any
performance impact.

Nick