Re: [O] thanks

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] thanks
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 14:37:23 -0400

Patrick O'Neill <address@hidden> wrote:

> I just wanted to give a quick word of thanks to Bernt Hansen and
> everyone else answering questions on the emacs-orgmode list.  Since
> the mailing list is publicly archived, answered questions can remain
> useful to others long after the original respondents have probably
> forgotten about them.  This answer
> (http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2008-08/msg00057.html)
> from 2008 was very useful to me and no doubt to others as well.

Amen to that! But also thanks for pointing out those solutions - I
either missed them the first time around or I forgot about them -
probably the latter, but I cannot remember :-) : I took a look, was
entirely mystified, tried them out, and I think I understand the last
two (after spending some time with the formula debugger - and there
might be some documentation lacunae that need to be filled there), but
the first solution gives me errors and I have no idea what it is trying
to do or how it goes about it: Bernt (or somebody else - I'm not picky),
can you please provide an explanation? Does it still work? If so, how?

Thanks,
Nick

For reference: (See the link provided by Patrick for details on the others:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2008-08/msg00055.html)

The problem (raised by Daniel Sinder) is to automatically
number the rows of a table and Bernt's first solution goes like this
(this is my attempt to replicate it, hence the errors - in the post,
the row numbers are correct):

* one

  | Row    | Data Column 1  | Data Column 2       |
  | #ERROR | some data      | more data           |
  | #ERROR | some more data | even more data      |
  | #ERROR | and more       | that's all          |
  | #ERROR | still more     | yup, you guessed it |
#+TBLFM: $1=find(@address@hidden,$2)

?!?!