[O] Problem with shift-up

From: Peter Frings
Subject: [O] Problem with shift-up
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 17:10:48 +0200

Hi gang,

sorry to bother you all again, but my transition to the new emacs is now taking
days and I’m getting really frustrated.

I’m trying to find out why shift-arrow on a date/time stamp no longer works
with my brand new and shiny set-up.

Emacs 23, org-mode 7.7.

When running a minimal set-up (as described on the worg-FAQ), the shift-arrows
keys work as expected: they change the date and time values in org’s timestamps.

When loading the starter-kit from Kieran Healy [1], things are not so smooth.
I’ve been disabling all possible packages, trying to isolate the culprit, but
to no avail. I searched the web and this mailing list, and found someone else
with the same problem [2], but alas, no conclusive answer.

In both cases, 'shift-select-mode’ is t.

With the minimal set-up,  S-up is bound to this (using C-h k):
<S-up> runs the command org-shiftup, which is an interactive compiled
Lisp function in `org.el’.

With the starter-kit, it’s:
<up> (translated from <S-up>) runs the command previous-line, which is
an interactive compiled Lisp function in `simple.el’.

What the heck is ‘translating’ this key binding? How can I find the guilty one
so I can do very cruel things to it?

Pointers very much appreciated!
Peter.

[1] http://kjhealy.github.com/emacs-starter-kit/