Re: [O] BUG: example/src blocks and latex export

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] BUG: example/src blocks and latex export
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 15:59:40 -0400

Eric Schulte <address@hidden> wrote:

> > I get sane behavior with the attached patch, but I'm wondering if it
> > breaks other backends, so if somebody is willing to test, I'd appreciate
> > it (and of course, I'll test as well). For the time being at least, this
> > is a trial balloon, not a real patch.
> >

> Thanks for the patch, I would not want this behavior on by default
> because I think the results in the Org-mode file are less visually
> pleasing than when results are padded with spaces.  Perhaps this
> behavior could be controlled through a new header argument which would
> default to the current behavior.

I tried evaluating the code block in the following file both with (my
probably slightly stale version of) master: Org-mode version 7.7
(release_7.7.120.g2edd) and the version with the patch applied: Org-mode
version 7.7 (release_7.7.121.gb267a)

#+BABEL: :exports code

* foo

Verbiage to begin the paragraph
#+begin_src sh
date
#+end_src
and verbiage to end the same paragraph.

* bar

Verbiage to begin the paragraph
#+begin_example
date
#+end_example
and verbiage to end the same paragraph.

After C-c C-c in the code block, it looks like this in both cases:

#+BABEL: :exports code

* foo

Verbiage to begin the paragraph
#+begin_src sh
date
#+end_src

#+results:
: Fri Aug 19 15:36:04 EDT 2011

and verbiage to end the same paragraph.

* bar

Verbiage to begin the paragraph
#+begin_example
date
#+end_example
and verbiage to end the same paragraph.

So I don't think the patch changes anything in the visual appearance of
the results. Am I missing something? Were you worried about this or
something else? Of course, the line after the results does become a new
paragraph in this case when exported to latex: there's yet *another*
newline inserted after the results, but that is a separate problem, and
the patch under discussion does not change that behavior at all.
Agreed?

Thanks,
Nick