Re: [O] indenting nested TODOs in agenda views

From: Sebastien Vauban
Subject: Re: [O] indenting nested TODOs in agenda views
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 16:24:16 +0200

Hi John,

John Hendy wrote:
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Yes, I was looking for the same kind of thing some times ago. But I do not
>> have any idea of how we may present the agenda view. Maybe it should be
>> better do display the path to a TODO item, since parent item may be not
>> TODO items by themselves, like this:
>>
>> * Garden
>> ** TODO Cut the flowers
>> ** TODO Cut the flowers
>>
>> should be presented somehow like in the refile view, as:
>>
>> TODO Garden / Cut the flowers
>> TODO Home / Cut the flowers
>>
>> instead of the unclear:
>>
>> TODO Cut the flowers
>> TODO Cut the flowers
>>
>> Actually, I wonder how people deals with this kind of tasks. Are you
>> relying on tags ? For example with :garden: and :home: in my previous
>> example ?
>
> I *just* corresponded with the list about something like this within
> the last month or two, but can't find the thread. The response I got
> back was that the person relied on adding descriptive words to all the
> todos, which is what I've been doing, but I don't like it.

This is a solution.

Another is to leave those tasks untouched (I mean: don't add words in their
description) and check out in the echo area about the context, when looking at
the tasks (scanning them with the arrow key). Of course, that means you can't
deduce what task belongs to which context without putting your cursor on the
task in question.

> I host a lot of external vendors at work and have the same structure for all
> of them:
>
> ----------
> * proj [/] host vendor x
> ** todo set date
> ** todo book room
> ** todo request abstract
> ** todo submit event announcement
> ** todo post presentation online
> ----------
>
> They're so similar that I can just copy/yank the subtree from one to
> the other... but then I have to go change each to:
>
> ----------
> ** todo x: set date
>
> and so on. Time consuming and non-ideal. It would be great to know
> what the subtask belongs to for things like this. When I have two
> vendors within a week or two, it gets confusing.

Yet another solution would be to use your category therefore?

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban