Re: [O] Bug: Toggle descriptive and literal links [7.4]

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: Toggle descriptive and literal links [7.4]
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 08:53:22 -1000

Bastien <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Reiner,
>
> Reiner Steib <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> (a) There is no (interactive) command to toggle this setting.
>
> There is now `org-toggle-link-display'.
>
>> #+BEGIN_SRC lisp
>>    (defun org-descriptive-links ()
>>      "Display Descriptive Links in `org-mode'."
>>      (interactive)
>>      (org-add-to-invisibility-spec '(org-link)) (org-restart-font-lock))
>>
>>    (defun org-literal-links ()
>>      "Display Literal Links in `org-mode'."
>>      (interactive)
>>      (org-remove-from-invisibility-spec '(org-link)) (org-restart-font-lock))
>> #+END_SRC
>
> Thanks for the example code.
>
>> I'd suggest to add such `defun's (or a toggling defun) and adjust
>> org-org-menu accordingly to use the defuns instead of the current
>> `progs'.
>
> Done.
>
>> (b) The initial behaviour should be customizable.
>
> See the new option: `org-link-display-descriptive' which defaults to
> `t'.
>
> Thanks for this idea!

Aloha Bastien,

Thanks for adding this.  I work with literal links and this potentially
saves time and effort.

I wonder if I'm using it correctly?  In .emacs I set
org-link-display-descriptive nil and have:

--------
org-link-display-descriptive is a variable defined in `org.el'.
Its value is nil

Documentation:
Non-nil means Org will display descriptive links.
E.g. [[http://orgmode.org][Org website]] will be displayed as
"Org Website", hiding the link itself and just displaying its
description.  When set to `nil', Org will display the full links
literally.

You can interactively set the value of this variable using the
`org-toggle-link-display'.
--------

But when I open an Org-mode buffer I find the links displayed
descriptively.  The menu Org/Hyperlinks/Literal Links is checked at this
time.  If I call org-toggle-link-display twice, then literal links are
displayed.

All the best,
Tom
--