Re: [O] Schedule event

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [O] Schedule event
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 12:26:24 +0200

Hi Jason,

Jason Dunsmore <address@hidden> writes:

> Carsten Dominik <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Why do you want this special interface for setting an event date.
>> How is that better than `C-c .'?  Is it that you don't need to
>> position the cursor?
>
> Yes, that was my original reason.  But your suggestion of adding a
> special keyword for events is another good reason.  Also, as recently
> discussed, consistent formatting conventions and clarifying the
> frequently-misunderstood issue of SCHEDULED vs. no-keyword active
> timestamps are good reasons.

I agree adding an EVENT: (or "APPT:") would be nice.

What I suggest is this:

1. merge org-schedule and org-deadline into a new org-plan function.

2. allow org-plan to set a new org-schedule-special keyword (this
   keyword would be "EVENT" by default, but customizable.)

Now I'm unclear yet whether the set of features that is available
for scheduled entries should also return special-keyword entries
(e.g. org-agenda-get-scheduled) or if this should be a completely
separate set of features -- in which case I have the feeling we
are really emulating the use of an :EVENT: property.

What is your take on this?

Thanks for bringing this up anyway!

PS: it took me long to reply because I'm also considering using
the property drawer to store timestamps like SCHEDULED, DEADLINE
and so on.   But it is a big move and we can't delay your request
by relying on such a change.

--
 Bastien