Re: [O] biblatex citation

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] biblatex citation
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2011 04:52:15 -0400

Nick Dokos <address@hidden> wrote:

> Thomas S. Dye <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Aloha all,
> >
> > This biblatex construct:
> > \parencites[234]{kirch85}[185]{kirch84}
> >
> > is output like this:
> > \parencites[234]{kirch85}[185]\{kirch84\}
> >
> > The biblatex syntax is unusual (to me) in LaTeX.  I wonder if it is
> > possible to support it in Org-mode?
> >

> So is the syntax \parencites followed by an arbitrary number of pairs
> [page#]{ref}?
>
> latex export knows to do the right thing for a command with optional and
> mandatory arguments: \command[opt]{mand} is properly protected, but the
> above case stretches it to beyond its breaking point.
>
> After a quick look, all I could come up with as a possibility was yet
> another special case in org-export-latex-preprocess - and one more scan
> of the whole file to add to the many (roughly 20!) that this function
> does.

Well, maybe another scan is not necessary: the existing command handler
could perhaps be extended to deal with this case. But the regexp in
that case is horrendous enough as it is - if it gets any hairier, it
will become Medusa: mortals looking at it will drop dead.
However it might be that a loop that eats multiple pairs of [...]{...}
occurrences would be simple enough to implement.

My preferred solution would be for \parencites to change its syntax :-)
If it were implemented like this e.g.

\parencites{234|kirch85|185|kirch84}

it would be easier to type *and* org would be able to handle it
out of the box: a win-win for everybody except for the parencites
author.

Nick