Re: [O] Convert list to paragraph

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] Convert list to paragraph
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2011 12:32:25 -0400

Derek Thomas <address@hidden> wrote:

> > Nick Dokos <address@hidden> writes:
> >
> >> (defun org-list-to-paragraph ()
> >>  "Convert the list at point into a paragraph."
> >>  (interactive)
> >>  (insert (org-list-to-generic (org-list-parse-list t)
> >>                               '(:ustart ""
> >>                                 :splice t
> >>                                 :isep " "
> >>                                 :nobr t ))))
> >>

> >> (defun org-lists-to-paragraphs ()
> >>  (goto-char (point-min))
> >>  (condition-case nil
> >>    (while (org-list-search-forward "+ ")
> >>     (org-list-to-paragraph))
> >>   (error nil)))
> >>
> >> (add-hook 'org-export-preprocess-hook
> >>            (function org-lists-to-paragraphs))
>

> This looks like it will do what I want.  Is there any way to restrict
> this export option to certain org files?  Thanks,

With elisp you can do anything: just a small matter of
programming (TM).  E.g. you can set up a list with the
files that you want this to apply to and then check in
org-lists-to-paragraphs whether the file you are
exporting is in the list: if not, don't do
anything. Here's a quick and rather dirty
implementation - a minor variation on the above:

(setq ndk-list-to-paragraph-file-list
'("/home/nick/src/org/list/to-paragraph/derek-thomas.org"))

(defun org-list-to-paragraph ()
  "Convert the list at point into a paragraph."
  (interactive)
  (insert (org-list-to-generic (org-list-parse-list t) '(:ustart "" :splice t
:isep " " :nobr t ))))

(defun ndk-buffer-file-name ()
  ;;; if called from inside org-export-preprocess-string
  ;;; source-buffer will be bound to the original org buffer, not the temp
buffer
  ;;; otherwise assume we want to operate on the current buffer
  ;;; don't bother telling me how ugly this is - I know
  ;;; but do bother telling me about a better way to do it.
  (if (boundp 'source-buffer)
      (buffer-file-name source-buffer)
    (buffer-file-name (current-buffer))))

(defun org-lists-to-paragraphs ()
  (if (not (member (ndk-buffer-file-name) ndk-list-to-paragraph-file-list))
      nil
    (goto-char (point-min))
    (condition-case nil
        (while (org-list-search-forward "+ ")
          (org-list-to-paragraph))
      (error nil))))

(add-hook 'org-export-preprocess-hook (function org-lists-to-paragraphs))
but depending on your needs, you might want to do it
differently.  It is just a matter of figuring out what
criteria you want to apply and then figuring out how
to implement those criteria.

Nick

PS Is there a better way to get the original buffer
name?