Re: [O] Bug: Babel: asymptote: erroneous conversion of heterogeneous-typ

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: Babel: asymptote: erroneous conversion of heterogeneous-typed table
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 10:52:34 -0600

> Completing myself.
>
>> Though, you insist on being able to enter it as a number anyway,
>> hoping ob-asymptote will do the magic behind. How could it, since the
>> language can't itself?
>
> Actually, the attached patch does that magic: if there's any string in
> the table, every cell will be turned into a string and the array will be
> of type string.
>
> I still think a more general way would be better. I'll let Eric Schulte
> decide what to do about it.

I don't know asymptote well enough to know if you would /always/ want a
heterogeneous table to be converted to all strings, or if there would
ever be a case where you would want mixed types in a table.  If a later
then perhaps this behavior should be tucked behind a header argument,
e.g., :mixed-table-all-strings (or somesuch) which could default to
either true or false depending on which use cases is more common.

Let me know which would be most useful and least surprising and I'll
gladly apply the patch.

Thanks -- Eric

--
Eric Schulte