Re: [O] Bug: Babel: asymptote: erroneous conversion of heterogeneous-typ

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: Babel: asymptote: erroneous conversion of heterogeneous-typed table
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 13:34:03 -0600

András Major <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Eric,
>
>> > I've been away since my last post and now you've already applied a patch
>> > -- wow!  Here's another thought though: change the behaviour of the :var
>> > header argument such that you can specify a range of rows, columns, or
>> > a rectangle just like in table references.
>>
>> This is already possible, see "Indexable variable values" [1].
>
> Oh, sorry that I missed that.  I'll try it with indexed variables then.
> Still the question arises why the syntax here is different from usual
> table indexing -- why can't I use something along the lines of
> ":var t=table(@II$2..@>$4)"?

The table indexing syntax is specifically used for 2-dimensional arrays
while the variable indexing can be used to index into any number of
dimensions.

> That would be really really nice.  Would it be hard to implement?

It would be nice to be able to use the familiar table syntax in the case
of 2-D arrays.  This shouldn't be hard to implement, the indexing
behavior is defined in the `org-babel-ref-index-list' function which
could be extended to read in org-table type syntax, or it may not be
difficult to write a function which translates the table syntax to the
variable syntax.

Although ultimately it may be simpler just to keep the two separate.

Best -- Eric

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/