Re: [O] Best practices? Multiple .org files?

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [O] Best practices? Multiple .org files?
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2011 13:55:55 +0100

Christian Moe <address@hidden> writes:

> On 9/1/11 7:35 PM, Brian Wood wrote:
>> (...) I'm thinking that I should break up
>> this file into multiple .org files in a directory. If I do that:
>

>> 1. I would like to still see the same top-level tree that I see now
>> when I shift-Tab e.g:
>>
>> * Admin
>> * Drupal
>> * MacOS
>> * Linux
>> * Time Reports
>>
>> So if I create drupal.org that contains the contents of "* Drupal",
>> and I remove "* Drupal" from work.org, is there a way to still see my
>> top level tree including "Drupal"?
>
> I keep some top-level headings in my central `my.org' file after I've
> hived off the contents to other org files, just to have a convenient
> link to the file and save myself having to remember how I named it.
>
> So I'd do something like:
>
> * Admin
> * [[file:./drupal.org][Drupal]]
> * MacOS
> * Linux
> * Time Reports
>
> Don't forget to add the new files to your agenda files, the agenda
> view being the chief way of pulling together all your tasks.
>
> Yours,
> Christian

This might be sacrilegious (:-) but I use Emacs bookmarks to be able to
jump easily to headings in my various org files.  Easy to set up and
very easy to use.  I bookmark a number of headings and thereafter don't
care which actual org files they reside in.

See bookmark-set, bookmark-bmenu-list and bookmark-jump.  At least in
Emacs 24.0.50.x, the bookmark package is available by default.  Probably
in earlier versions but cannot easily check...

--
Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D)