Re: [O] [bug] equations in latex equation environment with leading +/- m

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] [bug] equations in latex equation environment with leading +/- misinterpreted
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 18:32:21 +0200

Hello,

Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> writes:

> the attached org file illustrates a problem with the latex exporter in
> which any line within a \begin{equation}...\end{equation} that begins
> with a + or - is interpreted as a list item.
>
> It's easy enough to avoid this problem by either reformatting the lines
> in question or by enclosing the equation block in a LATEX org block.
> Therefore, there's no urgency in addressing this bug.

[...]

> * equation with leading minus sign
>   The following equation
>   \begin{equation}
>   \label{eq:test}
>   y = 3 x
>   - 5
>   + 4
>   \end{equation} illustrates a problem in \LaTex export where the
>   leading arithmetic operators are interpreted as list entries.

I understand your concern, but, as far as I can tell, that's not a bug.

Lists have precedence over LaTeX snippets. In other words, you're asking
to start a list here, and Org starts one.

Also, that this kind of line won't appear automatically[1] (during
filling), so Org assumes it's here on purpose.

Regards,

[1] Now, if it does, that's indeed a bug.

--
Nicolas Goaziou