Re: [O] unexpected failure on all formulas

From: Christian Moe
Subject: Re: [O] unexpected failure on all formulas
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 22:28:47 +0200

Hi, Nick,

No whacks intended! It was an easy catch because I was mulling over similar problems with my code. My own second pass at a vmode implementation for Calc is below, now with support for negative values and bimodal data. It takes a different route and is a bit shorter, but doesn't handle all the cases your code does (I guess; I don't grok it all).

Yours,
Christian

(defmath vmode (vec)
  "Return the mode(s), i.e. most frequent value(s), of a vector
  of integers VEC."
  (let ((results (vec)) ; hold results
        (index 1)
        offset maxfreq)
    (setq offset (- 1 (vmin vec))
          vec (+ offset vec) ; bump all ints positive
          freq (histogram vec (1+ (vmax vec)))
          offset (1+ offset) ; histogram added `0' slot
          maxfreq (vmax freq))
    ;; Collect indexes (less offset) of all max freqs
    (while (> (setq index (find freq maxfreq index)) 0)
      (setq results (vconcat results index)
            index (1+ index)))
    (setq results (- results offset)) ; get neg ints back
    ;; Return results as vector or number
    (if (> (vlen results) 1)
        results
      (head results))))