Re: [O] Dimming ancestors in the agenda (relevant to indenting nested TO

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: [O] Dimming ancestors in the agenda (relevant to indenting nested TODOs in agenda views)
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2011 13:52:38 +0800

On Sun, Sep 25 2011, Samuel Wales wrote:

[...]

> My goal is simple: go through entries in the already-built agenda and
> dim anything that has a descendent in the same agenda.
>
> Hierarchical sorting is for the future.  And it is undesirable if you
> do not have the horizontal real estate to indent.

Okay, what you want is simpler than I had assumed. My goal isn't really
to make something that dims ancestors, though: it's to give users a
number of choices for indicating hierarchical relationships between
entries in agenda views. That ought to encompass your needs, but it
probably will end up being a little more complicated.

[...]

> I'm not sure why any agenda view can't use these features.  Certainly
> for my goal, but presumably for yours also?

The main problem is that the codebase is very scattered, and there are a
large number of different functions that produce and display agenda-like
entries. To make this (for whatever value of "this") work for all agenda
views, it will take quite a bit of poking about, and making little
design decisions. I want to make sure that the general strategy is
acceptable before I put that work in.

Eric

--
GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.4)
 of 2011-04-04 on rothera, modified by Debian