Re: [O] Merge Properties into Template; [babel]

From: Giovanni Ridolfi
Subject: Re: [O] Merge Properties into Template; [babel]
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2011 12:40:33 +0200

Richard Parsons <address@hidden> writes:

 Hi Richard,

> I have a node with properties and I would like to merge that data into
> a template.  For example:
>
> * Dogs
> ** Fido
>   :PROPERTIES:
>   :BREED:    West Highland Terrier
>   :COLOR:    White
>   :AGE:      2
>   :END:
> * Templates
> ** Dog Template
> Your dog, called [HEADLINE], is a [COLOR] [BREED], who is [AGE] years old.
>
> I want to merge the item called "Fido" into the template called "Dog
> Template".
>
> Could someone point me to the right bit of the manual

I think that the only way to extract the information of a property,
in org, is column view.[1]

However you may be able to use something like perl or awk to extract the info
and babel to use in the org file.

I'm a babel ignorant. CCed Eric Schulte for help ;-)

hth,
Giovanni

[1] But you'll end with this:
* DOGS
** Fido
  :PROPERTIES:
  :ID: dog
  :COLUMNS: %dog %ITEM %is %BREED %whos %AGE %old
  :dog: Your dog, called
  :is: , is a
  :BREED:    West Highland Terrier
  :COLOR:    White
  :whos: , who is
  :AGE:      2
  :old: years old.
  :END:
** Templates
*** Dog Template
Your dog, called [HEADLINE], is a [COLOR] [BREED], who is [AGE] years old.
*** Dog column
#+BEGIN: columnview :hlines 1 :id dog
| dog              | ITEM    | is     | BREED                 | whos     | AGE
| old        |
| Your dog, called | ** Fido | , is a | West Highland Terrier | , who is |   2
| years old. |
#+END