Re: [O] missing autoload cookies for defcustom?

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [O] missing autoload cookies for defcustom?
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 07:26:38 +0200

On 9.10.2011, at 18:26, Achim Gratz wrote:

> Carsten Dominik <address@hidden> writes:
>> This is not correct for Org when it is distributed with Emacs.  Emacs
>> builds its own autoload files, and it would pull in all these defcustoms.
>
> I see, so what about those autoloaded defcustoms org-mode already has
> picked up?  Should they not be removed, then?

Good question. Not sure.

> lisp/ob-tangle.el: (defcustom org-babel-tangle-lang-exts
> lisp/org-export-generic.el: (defcustom org-export-generic-links-to-notes t
> lisp/org-man.el: (defcustom org-man-command 'man
>
> It seems that this would be a common problem, but I can't find a better
> solution.  Something like a special autoload cookie that only triggers
> on some other function (or possibly autoload)...
>
>> The work-around Org itself provides is to provide a command to load all
>> the autolod files, so that then, the defcustoms will be available.
>> The function is `org-require-autoloaded-modules'.  Also, if you
>> run `M-x org-customize', this will happen automatically.
>>
>> Maybe we just need to document this in a good place?
>
> Sure, I certainly didn't know about it - but then it probably still
> misses the target audience.
>
> Also, it seems that not all defcustoms are picked up that way: after
> switching to the Org customize group via customize-group I only get
> about 500 completions for customize-variable, whereas the sources have
> over 700.  Calling org-customize manually increases the number of
> "known" variables to 679, but still not all of them.

Yes, this might be possible.  I think it does not pick up modules that can, but
have not been, requested via the `org-modules' variable.  I.e. once you have
decided to use a module and turned it on with org-modules, you should get your
variables defined with org-customize.

Regards

- Carsten