Re: [O] [ANN] BREAKING CHANGE -- removing #+BABEL file-wide property lin

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] [ANN] BREAKING CHANGE -- removing #+BABEL file-wide property lines
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 14:12:57 -0600

Nick Dokos <address@hidden> writes:

> Eric Schulte <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> I have just pushed up a change to the Org-mode git repository which
>> removes support for #+BABEL lines.  Please use the more general
>> #+PROPERTIES lines instead.
>>

> Coming late to the dance - sorry. I think that's very confusing.
> "Property" is an overloaded term in org: we now have the :PROPERTIES:
> drawer, the #+PROPERTY line and the #+PROPERTIES line (singular and
> plural forms are already pretty bad).

Do the #+PROPERTY and #+PROPERTIES lines have different semantics?

> Also, there is the general concept of properties (the stuff that the
> property API applies to).
>
> Unless there is an underlying unity of which I'm unaware, I'd strongly
> suggest another term - perhaps CODE_BLOCK_HEADER_ARGUMENTS (plus
> an easy-template for easy insertion).

Code blocks already piggy-back off of subtree properties pulling their
header arguments out of the properties specified on the subtree level.
Given that header arguments and properties are already thus interleaved
I believe that properties should be used on the file-wide level as well,
rather than introducing another synonymous keyword which adds no new
functionality.

Does that make sense?

Best -- Eric

--