Re: [O] [ANN] BREAKING CHANGE -- removing #+BABEL file-wide property lin

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] [ANN] BREAKING CHANGE -- removing #+BABEL file-wide property lines
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 16:18:18 -0600

Nick Dokos <address@hidden> writes:

> Eric Schulte <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> > Other than "colon confusion" (having to specify ``:results silent'' on
>> > the src block header line and ``results silent'' in the #+PROPERTY line
>> > to get the same behavior), this looks better. Not sure what (if
>> > anything) can or should be done about the colons.
>> >

>> I don't know of a good solution for colons.  If we decided to add colons
>> then the subtree property blocks would become akward, with entries like
>>
>> ** foo
>>    :PROPERTIES:
>>    ::results: silent
>>    :END:
>>
>> I would say we could look for each value both with and without colons,
>> but property searches of this nature are slow and doubling the speed
>> impact simply for allow colon flexibility doesn't seem to be a good
>> tradeoff.  I think this will just have to be something that users will
>> need to learn.
>>

> I agree[fn:1]: the point is to simplify the code, not complicate it
> *and* slow down everything at the same time.  Maybe the header args
> section of the manual can use the "colon as delimiter" method to explain
> the equivalent forms and that will suffice.

I agree, the header argument syntax portion of the documentation could
be made more clear, and I did like you explanation to Seb's email.
Perhaps you could submit a documentation patch? :)

> Nick
>
> Footnotes:
>
> [fn:1] ...but I take some perverse pleasure from the fact that both
> Suvayu and Seb asked the question :-)

I noticed that too, and it no doubt means that this same question will
occur to future users.

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/