Re: [O] OPatches for org-generic-export

From: Robert Goldman
Subject: Re: [O] OPatches for org-generic-export
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 12:29:05 -0500

On 10/21/11 Oct 21 -12:06 PM, Wes Hardaker wrote:

> RPG> Attached is a set of patches to the org-generic-exporter.  They fix
> RPG> a change in the org-preprocess process that means that all uses of
> RPG> the org-generic export facility will crash.  They also add
> RPG> rudimentary support for trac wiki and tikiwiki export.  Finally, I
> RPG> have removed the HTML exporter from the org-generic export.  I
> RPG> don't see any reason to struggle to support this, since it is done
> RPG> better by the core parts of org-mode.
>
> Glad to see someone tinkering with it!  yay!
>
> FYI, the reason the HTML was in there was for proof of concept more than
> anything else.  It was a learning example for those wishing to write
> their own exports, as HTML is known by lots of people and demonstrated
> what you could do with it.  [especially if you wanted hand-crafted html]

Hm.  Well, we could certainly just skip that patch, and apply only the
others to org-mode, if we want to keep it.

The problem with doing that is that when I am fixing things (e.g., I am
working to make links work with various wiki export formats), I don't
have the energy to maintain the HTML backend.  So it's likely to
bit-rot, which would make it turn into a /bad/ exemplar.

What do you think?

I think also we should try to assemble a single org document with all
kinds of markup that are expected to work, and use that to make tests.
An export facility is actually easy to regression test....  I just
haven't gotten around to it.  Do you know if there is such a document
for one of the other exporters that I could piggyback on?

Best,