Re: [O] Output to shell when calling emacsclient?

From: Herbert Sitz
Subject: Re: [O] Output to shell when calling emacsclient?
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2011 20:37:17 +0000 (UTC)

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos <at> hp.com> writes:
> The message function will cause output to the echo area of emacs as well
> as to the
> standard output of the emacsclient command:
> ,----
> | $ emacsclient --eval '(message "Hi there")'
> | "Hi there"
> `----

Nick --  Thanks, it does indeed work for me in Linux.

Can't get it to work in Windows, though.  In Windows it runs in the gui server
with correct output in Emacs server in the Messages buf and on the minibuf
command line.  But not output in the terminal.

Strange because I can get the shell to redirect the output to a file:

> emacsclientw --eval ^"(message \^"Hi there\^")^" >  output.txt

But if I don't enter the redirect to a file the output never shows up in the
terminal.

Maybe someone knows the explanation for this?

-- Herb