Re: [O] "git describe" in version of info file with "make info_git_descr

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: [O] "git describe" in version of info file with "make info_git_describe"
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 11:26:34 +0200

Michael Brand <address@hidden> writes:
> If set-version.pl would be obsolete my patch would be much shorter and
> I would use something even more portable than perl to change the
> version in /tmp/org.texi like the POSIX/SUS ed command, used inline in
> the Makefile. Would you agree?

I don't know if it is still used by the maintainers for preparing a
release.  I do know that there are no version numbers in the source
files any more, so that part of set-version.pl surely is obsolete.  The
other parts may become obsolete if whatever is still in used can be
moved to make.  I've already started to reduce the reliance on perl in
my branch, switching to sed where possible.

> I can remember some discussion but haven't realized that the outcome
> is a pending merge. Hence I declare version 2 of my patch as "Changes
> Requested" on patchwork (can't change this myself) and will rebase it
> against your changes.

Again I don't know if or when this gets merged.  I've already used up my
TINYCHANGEs and hit an impasse with the FSF papers that I don't know how
to resolve... :-(  Then again, the build system doesn't really become
part of Emacs, but it's up to the maintainers to decide.

> Yes, good point. I was aware of that and therefore for the target
> "info-vg", doc/org.texi is copied to /tmp/org.texi, altered only there
> and makeinfo reads from there.

I'd much prefer to inject the version in a different way, not making an
altered copy that the build works from.  The result is the same, but it
doesn't feel OK... so probably the solution should be to get the version
injected via some @set in an @include file (that's the recommended way
from the Texinfo perspective, anyway) that is produced by make whenever
the source file changes.

> And I _added_ the target "info-vg" because implementing the same
> functionality in the target "info" itself, by either adding an
> auto-detect whether git describe is available (like org-version does)
> or using org-version itself, is not an option. One still needs to have
> the unchanged target "info" to build a release with the info version
> not possibly influenced by git describe.

I posit that if it's worth to have that (I'd say yes), ``make info´´
should do that, in a way that is compatible with version control.
Anyway, I've implemented the requested functionality into my Makefile
fork, please test.

Regards,
Achim.