[O] org-protocol is bitrotting away

From: Florian Hars
Subject: [O] org-protocol is bitrotting away
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2011 20:44:03 +0100

Of cousre my first error was to try to do something productive on a
current ubuntu, but since they have again broken the canonical way to
configure protocol handlers, 90% of all howtos describing how to
configure org-protocol plain don't work on ubuntu 11.10. gconftool
does no longer work, setting things in about:config in firefox has no
effect, the current season's incantantion is to put

[Desktop Entry]
Name=org-protocol
Exec=emacsclient %U
Type=Application
Terminal=false
Categories=System;
MimeType=x-scheme-handler/org-protocol;

into ~/.local/share/applications/org-protocol.desktop and then run
update-desktop-database .local/share/applications/ , as mentioned before:
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/41733

More serious is the problen that firefox 7.0.1 steadfastly refuses
to set location.href to the URIs required by org-protocol, it throws
rather scary looking exceptions if the result of
encodeURIComponent(location.href) in the URI does not appear after a
question mark. I sort of got it working  by changing the URI to
"org-protocol://capture://?x="+encodeURIComponent(l)+"/"+...
and then added the same three characters in
org-protocol-check-filename-for-protocol:
     (regexp-quote (plist-get (cdr prolist) :protocol)) ":/+\\(\\?x=\\)?")))

- Florian.