Re: [O] Video showing Jambunathan's ODT exporter

From: Torsten Wagner
Subject: Re: [O] Video showing Jambunathan's ODT exporter
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2011 17:02:41 +0900

Hi,

This is some seriously cool functionality for Org that deserves wider exposure.
Jambunathan's done a great job.

Yep I tried it a few days ago and the results were nearly perfect.

It's obviously not for everyone; I'm sure some Org users have no need for
documents in a word processor and steer as far away as possible.  Others may
love it, though, and it could potentially bring more users to Org community.

Well it becomes particular important if it comes to collaboration with MS-Office people. I can write my stuff in org and make a LaTeX export for the final submission, however, I can send co-authors ODT (and by resaving doc) formats to allow them to make changes and comments to the manuscript.

I've seen comments about an ODT import that I haven't had a chance to look
into yet.

Well this is the exact point which is missing now. For now, I open the resubmitted modified ODT version on my PC and make all changes accordingly in my org-file. Thanks to a dual screen set-up it is rather ok. However, still very error prone.

Having the possibility to re-import the ODT-file into org and make a kind of diff which I simply step through and either agree or disagree would be perfect. Emacs already has diff functionallity. What would be needed is a way to re-import the ODT-file in a as much as possible exact way like it was originally. The ODF format is open and I wonder whether there is some kind of metadata tag, which could be used to save the org-mode stuff directly beside the odt text stuff... this would allow to restore the org-mode file rather efficiently.

Pseudo code:

<metadata> *** DONE This is a subsubsub-header :COAUTHOR:  <\metadata>
<>

Cheers,

Herb