Re: [O] babel, beamer: Prevent apostrophe/single quote mangling, so exam

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] babel, beamer: Prevent apostrophe/single quote mangling, so examples can be reused from PDF
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 19:20:37 -0700

"Mikhail Titov" <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello!
>
> I’ve picked up some templates from orgmode tutorials and I can
> successfully create PDF made of beamer slides with babelized R
> code. The problem is that I can’t reuse text from pdf by copy-pasting
> like SQL I used in RODBC examples.
>
> At some point all my single quotes are turned into something that is
> not even on my keyboard and looks like reversed back quote.
>
> I’m not sure if mailing list can pass all these unchanged. I’m getting
> ’ instead of ' in the output.
>
> What shall I look at to fix this? I really want all text to be easily
> reusable.
>
> I feel like it is a LaTeX related problem since I see tex file as it
> is supposed to be. But there must be some workaround or at least
> warning for babel users of org-mode.
>
> P.S. I typed in message in HTML mode and converted it to plain text
> later. And it looks like even MS Outlook did this conversion in text
> :(
>
> P.P.S. I have the following in output tex file if it makes any difference
>
> \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
>
> and I'm running MS Windows with latest org mode from git and MikTeX 2.9 .
>
> Mikhail

Hi Mikhail,

I have seen a similar issue in which code *executed* by R returns weird
nasty quotes.  The following works for me to remove these quotes before
the confuse TeX.

;; Replace nasty single-quotes returned by R.
(add-hook 'org-export-latex-final-hook
          (lambda () (replace-regexp "’" "'")))

Hope this helps -- Eric

--