Re: [O] [OT] CSV to Org

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] [OT] CSV to Org
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 00:37:20 -0500

Samuel Wales <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hmm, thanks for your comments.  I can see the appeal of a Python-ish
> solution, but I was thinking maybe some elisp (or even a package or a
> part of Org) instead.  Then it could grow to a generally useful
> importer.

The trouble is that CSV is a very loosely defined format, with many
variations and dialects. The nice thing about the python solution is
that it takes care of many of these variations.

If somebody does take up your challenge, I would strongly advise that
they should consult the csv python module (or equivalent modules in
other languages, depending on their preferred language) and the design
document for it (PEP 305 - at http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0305/ )
and try to translate it into elisp, rather than striking off on their
own.

Nick