Re: [O] Org from ELPA question

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: [O] Org from ELPA question
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 21:44:24 +0100

Jambunathan K <address@hidden> writes:
> Filed as an umbrella bug -
> http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=10125.

I believe both the reason and the cure you suggest there are not
entirely correct, even though it might be generally nice to be able to
specifiy the order of things.  I have been having no issues when
compiling org-mode using the same method that package-manager uses (that
is in a single process and in alphabetical order).

There are some requisites for doing that correctly, which I might not
have fully comprehended: 1) there must not be any stale .elc files
around since Emacs would prefer these over the newer .el files and get
lost.  Similarly, 2) the source directory must be first in loadpath,
otherwise Emacs might pick up pre-existing sources (or compiled files)
that are packaged with Emacs.  Lastly, 3) at least for macros, Emacs
must not have a different definition in-core already before the compile
starts because then it will never look for the newer definiton in the
source file (or too late).

I keep 1) fulfilled in the makefile by nuking all .elc files before
starting the compile, 2) by specifying the loadpath directly at the
command line and 3) by specifying -Q to the Emacs process that does the
compilation.  So far I haven't found any ill effects of doing that, but
please feel free to check out my Makefile fork.  I'll have to check if I
already used that method to compile the latest version of org-mode I use
at work since that one gets much more use...

I don't know how the last condition can be fulfilled in
package manager without starting a new Emacs process, but perhaps it is
possible.  Before settling on this make process I have been
unsuccessfully trying to automatically unravel the interdependencies
between org-mode source files.  Aside from not having found any tools
that deliver dependencies in a way that would be useful for make, it
also can not really work since there are some circular dependencies in
the sources.

HTH,
Achim.