Re: [O] M-RET and C-RET

From: Michael Brand
Subject: Re: [O] M-RET and C-RET
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2011 17:13:22 +0100

Hi all

Now that I use M-RET more often when editing lists I was about trying
to make a patch to remove what seems to me an inconsistency between
headings and list items. But after I have read the docstrings of
org-insert-item and org-list-insert-item the current behavior seems so
intentional that I must have just missed some good reasons. Which are
they?

With

#+begin_src org
  ,*** abc
  ,*** def
  ,    - ghi
  ,    - jkl
#+end_src

M-RET on "e" or on "k" splits the line, ok. M-RET on the first "*"
(here also C-RET) or on "-" inserts a line above, ok. M-RET on "d"
inserts a line _below_ (and C-RET _below_ the end of the whole entry),
ok. M-RET on "j" inserts a line above but I expected it below. If I
want a line above I would move the point to "-" before doing M-RET
like I do on a heading where I move to the first "*" to get the insert
above.

Changing to the behavior expected by me would make it possible to add
a new list item below the last one in a list (a very frequent task)
without caring about configuring org-M-RET-may-split-line away from
its default. I configured it to nil for headline and item only to be
able to insert a new list item below the current with M-RET where I am
forced to be on or at right of "k" which by default splits which I
want only in very rare cases. And one should not be invited to avoid
M-RET and edit lists with "-" and TAB as illustrated in the thread
"org-list-indent-offset only works partially":
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/47954

Another inconsistency in my view: Since M-RET inserts above when on
"-" or before I would like to see M-RET and C-RET also insert above
when on the last "*" (or single visible "*" when hidestars) or before,
not only on the first "*" of the line.

Michael