Re: [O] Emacs Prelude

From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
Subject: Re: [O] Emacs Prelude
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2011 18:56:23 -0600

Wow! Evil is simply awesome! I like that it runs smoothly (differently from viper-mode, which makes the whole text editing experience very slow when using orgmode). Kudos to Evil's developers, and thank you for letting us know about it!

On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 3:09 AM, Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> wrote:
Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Tom,
>
> I'm very interested in the "vi emulation in emacs" subject. I've tried
> viper-mode but it's quite slow with org, so I gave up on it. What's evil
> and how's the vi emulation it provides? Could you elaborate on it? I'd
> appreciate it, a lot.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Marcelo.

Marcelo,

I've been using evil (with org but also more generally) for a few months
now.  It provides a very good vi emulation and, more importantly,
strives to stay out of the way when necessary.  From the commentary in
the evil.el file:

,----
| ;; Evil is an extensible vi layer for Emacs. It emulates the main
| ;; features of Vim, and provides facilities for writing custom
| ;; extensions.
| ;;
| ;; Evil lives in a Git repository. To obtain Evil, do
| ;;
| ;;      git clone git://gitorious.org/evil/evil.git
| ;;
| ;; Evil is discussed at <implementations-list at lists.ourproject.org>,
| ;; a mailing list you can subscribe to at:
| ;;
| ;; http://lists.ourproject.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/implementations-list
| ;;
| ;; Subscription is not required; we usually reply within a few days
| ;; and CC our replies back to you.
`----

If you want modal editing and less cumbersome keystrokes for common
commands, without losing the power that Emacs provides, evil is
definitely worth considering.  I could not go back to vanilla emacs...

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.90.1
: using Org-mode version 7.7 (release_7.7.620.g7e49b)