Re: [O] Trying to use a custom face for highlighting tags used in agenda

From: Sebastien Vauban
Subject: Re: [O] Trying to use a custom face for highlighting tags used in agenda filtering
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2011 14:49:05 +0100

Hi Bastien,

Bastien wrote:
>>> using a better default for the face :)
>>
>> Well, I wouldn't call org-default a better default, but that's fine with
>> me. I mean: if org-default is black for the majority of the people, they
>> won't even see that you can customize that aspect of the modeline (in a
>> light scheme).
>
> Well, org-default is *not* a good default, 'modeline is. I've pushed a fix
> for this:
>
> (defface org-agenda-filter-tags
>   (org-compatible-face 'modeline
>     nil)
>   "Face for tag(s) in the mode-line when filtering the agenda."
>   :group 'org-faces)

AFAIK, `modeline' is the facename used in XEmacs. In GNU Emacs, it is
`mode-line'.

>> So, I prefer some color (I chose orange) that everybody can customize, and
>> that makes everybody be aware of the tags used for filtering (in this
>> case). But, as said, I don't mind the default: I'll customize it anyway for
>> my own usage.
>
> One advantage of making the use of a face visible is to let people know they
> can change it. In this case, changing the weight or using a different color
> may be an option -- let's see if people come up with good ideas.

Using `mode-line' as the default face for highlighting the tags is contrary to
my intended goal: the filters simply won't be different from any information
shown in the mode-line. Hence:

- there is no highlighting by default, and
- nobody even knows that it's customizable...

I think the best choice, if you want to use an already existing face, is then
to choose `mode-line-emphasis'. At least, that one is, by default, bold, so
that one sees something different without any specific customization.

What do you think?

Best regards,
  Seb

--