Re: [O] Refresh of http://orgmode.org

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] Refresh of http://orgmode.org
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 18:19:14 -0700

Viktor Rosenfeld <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I honestly liked the old one better. Some of my concrete criticism are:
>
> - The old screenshot conveyed what org-mode was all about. Outlining
>   and project planning. The new screenshots take a lot longer to load
>   and even if you click on them, their content is not always accessible.

+1 for preferring the old screenshot, for exactly those reasons
   mentioned above.  While it is fun for me to look at random
   screenshots from Worg, part of the purpose of this site is as a
   gateway to Org-mode, and I fear many of these random screenshots are
   meaningless (or even intimidating) unless you already have a good
   understanding of Org-mode.

> - I don't like the fixed top bar with the Org-Mode motto and the random
>   quote.  It takes up about 20% of vertical screen space of my laptop. A
>   complete waste in my view. The black background also does not cover
>   the text behind it -- one or two pixel of the text are visible above
>   the bar.

I also find that (in part because of the new larger screenshots) I can't
see any content upon first loading the page (see this screenshot [1]).

> - The old homepage had all the easily accessible information on one
>   page. So you could go to the homepage, search for "manual" or "mailing
>   list" and go on from there. (I sometimes work like that.) The new
>   homepage only contains screenshots (that don't convey a lot of
>   meaningful information) and the org-mode mission statement. Useful
>   information is available but the links are somewhat hidden in the
>   description of what org is about and some are hard to find. (E.g. the
>   manual is linked with the text "documented extensively".)

I agree that the manual should be linked with the term "manual", as
(unfortunately IMO) it seems many Emacs and Org-mode users aren't
comfortable using the build in Emacs info system and prefer to use the
online manual exclusively.

Aside from those items mentioned above I do generally like the style of
the new site.

Best,

> I believe that people quickly scan web pages for relevant information
> and the current format makes that hard.
>
> Cheers,
> Viktor
>
> Bastien wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I made a small refresh of the website.
>>
>> http://orgmode.org
>>
>> - random quote (taken from worg/org-quotes.org)
>> - random screenshot
>> - twitter feed
>> - g+/flattr/fb buttons
>> - french translation (http://orgmode.org/fr/)
>>
>> If you want to help with the translation in your language,
>> please send your public key and I will give you push access.
>> This is just a bunch of .org files, only 1 hour needed to
>> translate the whole website.
>>
>> Hope you like it!
>>
>> --
>>  Bastien