Re: [O] Refresh of http://orgmode.org

From: Stefan Vollmar
Subject: Re: [O] Refresh of http://orgmode.org
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 14:17:29 +0100

Dear Viktor,
dear Bastien,

On 13.12.2011, at 22:50, Viktor Rosenfeld wrote:

> [...]- I don't like this particular type writer font. On a Mac it's very thin
>  compared to the serifless font that makes up the normal text. But
>  that's just aesthetics.
>
> - I don't like the fixed top bar with the Org-Mode motto and the random
>  quote.  It takes up about 20% of vertical screen space of my laptop. A
>  complete waste in my view. The black background also does not cover
>  the text behind it -- one or two pixel of the text are visible above
>  the bar.

I really like the new web site "look" (thanks, Bastien!): I tested it on a Mac
with recent versions of Firefox, Safari and Opera and was (so far) very pleased
with both usability and aesthetics. However, that was on a machine with a large
screen and I can imagine that some layout and font decisions could be improved
for smaller systems - it does not work so well on the iPhone where I also did
some testing. Almost every web site has that problem - the solution usually is
to provide more than one stylesheet and provide a suitable one depending on the
browser identification; this works well with most SmartPhones and the iPad. We
have some institute-internal services that do this (not difficult to implement
with PHP) - is this an option for the current orgmode-site?

Warm regards,
 Stefan
--
Dr. Stefan Vollmar, Dipl.-Phys.