Re: [O] Bibliographic references

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: Re: [O] Bibliographic references
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 12:28:36 -1000

Alan L Tyree <address@hidden> writes:

> I feel like this should be googleable, but I'm not having much luck.
>
> As Eric mentioned in a recent post, one of the nice things about
> writing in org is that there is no need to worry about output format.
>
> Except in one thing: How do I deal with bibliographic citations so that
> the output is sensible in the different formats? How do I get \cite
> {key} to export properly in XHTML and odt as well as in LaTeX?
>
> Sorry if this is obvious to everybody else -- I'm stymied.
>
> Cheers,
> Alan
Aloha Alan,

IIUC, your immediate question has to do with making an in-text citation
look right in different output formats.  This can be accomplished with
the extended link syntax.  A basic setup that only includes LaTeX export
can be found here:

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-latex-export.html#sec-17-2

For the other export formats you'll need to add (eq format 'html) ...,
etc.

Of course, this just handles the in-text part for formats other than
LaTeX.  LaTeX uses bibtex or biblatex to compile the list of
references.  I don't know how to accomplish this in ODT.  For html, I
export from Org-mode to LaTeX, then use tex4ht to convert to html.  This
leverages the bibtex capabilities and yields nicely formatted
bibliographies in html.

hth,
Tom

--